Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maschen yard in Germany

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maschen yard in Germany

    Here is a png file of the rail yard in Machen, Germany. It was made with 54 images downloaded from google earth. It is 7235x5854 pixels. I created a macro, using Macro Express, to automatically move around the google earth program and save the images.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: Maschen yard in Germany

    Wow, what an image! Very nice, using a macro to capture it.

    I increased its contrast and did things to make the colors more natural and appealing. This is the large PNG file, MaschenYard.png. Then I reduced it to 8-bits per pixel, resulting in the small PNG file MaschenYard-8bit.png. This is lots smaller and looks essentially the same. No resolution was lost, only the color spectrum was compressed.

    This was still too large to load into 3PI, so I rotated the image 45 degrees CCW and reduced the image size substantially. The file MaschenYard45.bmp can be loaded into 3PI for tracing. A 3pi file that includes this image is also posted... in N scale, it would take 56.25 x 12.5 meters (184.5 x 41 feet) to model this 9km x 2km hump yard.


    Note: in all images, you'll find a pair of concentric green circles centered on a bridge. This is the location from which the sequence shots were taken:

    Maschen Sorting Sequence

    Photos from 9 Feb, 1999
    Attached Files
    Last edited by randy; 09-11-2005, 06:33 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Maschen yard in Germany

      Here is what I did to get the large Bailey yard image into 3pi. Paintshop Pro has an image slicer in it(maybe photoshop has one). I took the large image and sliced it into 12 vertical strips of the same dimensions. I imported the first vertical strip and sized it to match the image. I tried to import all of the others, but had trouble trying to get an image to auto-align to another image. Adjusting the points in the ODW was also troublesome. I then took the first image and used the array tool to make multiple copies that were side by side. Then I just reassigned the images in each frame. I put each image in its own layer, so they can be turned on/off as desired.

      Comment

      Working...
      X